[tech-whois] A follow up session in San Francisco?

Dave Piscitello dave.piscitello at icann.org
Mon Mar 7 12:34:17 UTC 2011

Saying that one is going to replace a protocol is often an unfortunate
choice of words, especially in an environment where flag day events are not
desirable.

I'd characterize the current activity as seeking a successor to a protocol
that is suited to meet numerous directory service applications and thus able
to augment the existing Whois service with new features. The directory
service protocol/framework would be developed in the appropriate standards
venue (IETF), and the features would be determined in the appropriate policy
environment (ICANN, RIR, and whatever other organization might choose to use
the protocol).

Specifically,

>> - no change to WHOIS
>> - new directory service while existing WHOIS remains
>> - WHOIS changes significantly

I don't see a case for item (3). I think items (2) is the correct
interpretation of the activity (think IPv4 transition to IPv6). I don't see
a need for (1) WHOIS protocol to change if (2) occurs.