[tech-whois] A follow up session in San Francisco?

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Mon Mar 7 19:45:01 UTC 2011

Hi Dave

On 8/03/2011, at 1:34 AM, Dave Piscitello wrote:

> [snipped]
> Specifically,
>
>>> - no change to WHOIS
>>> - new directory service while existing WHOIS remains
>>> - WHOIS changes significantly
>
> I don't see a case for item (3). I think items (2) is the correct
> interpretation of the activity (think IPv4 transition to IPv6). I don't see
> a need for (1) WHOIS protocol to change if (2) occurs.

Wonderful, that conforms exactly with my view.

The one addendum I would make is that almost all of the requirements that people have raised can be addresses by minor amendments to WHOIS that are backward compatible and do not require a flag day.

The only two that cannot be addressed this way are:

- authentication, which is the feature where I think we are talking about a very different protocol from WHOIS
- access control, which most WHOIS providers have implemented at the TCP/IP level

Jay

--
Jay Daley
Chief Executive