[tech-whois] A follow up session in San Francisco?

Francisco Obispo fobispo at isc.org
Mon Mar 7 20:12:18 UTC 2011

Hi Jay,

I don't disagree that it is not well used, I'm only saying that it is not critical like DNS, IPv4, etc.

A lot of registries don't have a WHOIS service, and some do, and don't even use the WHOIS protocol.

Having a new protocol, does not mean that a registry will have to switch from one to the other.. both protocols can be an interface to the WHOIS service.

Francisco

On Mar 7, 2011, at 11:30 AM, Jay Daley wrote:

> I disagree entirely.  WHOIS is one of the most used and well embedded protocols around. Changing it in an incompatible way will be a major event.

Francisco Obispo
Hosted@ Programme Manager
email: fobispo at isc.org
Phone: +1 650 423 1374 || INOC-DBA *3557* NOC
Key fingerprint = 532F 84EB 06B4 3806 D5FA  09C6 463E 614E B38D B1BE