[tech-whois] A follow up session in San Francisco?

Michael Young michael at mwyoung.ca
Tue Mar 8 22:15:49 UTC 2011

Jay sorry I don't have the time to systematically go through why I
disagree with the below arguments in email, let's talk at San Fran, (high
bandwidth communication :-) ).

On IPv6
Look at the RIR policies for block size allocations, most rate limiting
back-off algorithms include escalating address block denys, minimum IPv6
block size allocations are vast - exponentially larger than the entire
existing space. It means someone could bypass IP based rate limiting by
spreading queries across shifting source IP addresses in a way just not
feasible today. It becomes very difficult to block them without affecting
geniune source traffic.

Best Regards,

Michael Young