[tech-whois] A follow up session in San Francisco?

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Tue Mar 8 22:42:38 UTC 2011

On 9/03/2011, at 11:15 AM, Michael Young wrote:

> On IPv6
> Look at the RIR policies for block size allocations, most rate limiting
> back-off algorithms include escalating address block denys, minimum IPv6
> block size allocations are vast - exponentially larger than the entire
> existing space. It means someone could bypass IP based rate limiting by
> spreading queries across shifting source IP addresses in a way just not
> feasible today. It becomes very difficult to block them without affecting
> geniune source traffic.

We might need to talk about this bit as well.  All address based algorithms (as opposed to geo-locating) I've seen for this do a shifting mask aggregation - so they aggregate at /31 then /30 then /29 etc right the way up to a /16 or higher.  With IPv6 the principle is the same except that they start at a /55 then /54 and so on.  The only difference is that current density of addresses in use from IPv6 /56 upwards are lower than for IPv4 /32 upwards, but that will change with adoption and growth of the Internet.

cheers
Jay