Russia autumn 1996 DST patch

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Mon Sep 30 22:21:13 UTC 1996

   Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 18:29:02 +0400 (MSD)
   From: =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache at nagual.ru>

   Moscow standard/daylight always stays as MSK/MSD, but I find
   some cryptic MOS%sT things instead in new version :-(

Unfortunately, there is no standard in this area.  This change was
made as part of an effort to consistently use English abbreviations in
time zone names, to avoid disputes about whether, for example, the
time in Central Europe should be called `CET' (English) or `MEZ'
(German); or whether the time in Montreal should be called `EST'
(English) or `HNE' (French); or, to use a problem specific to Russia,
whether the time zone abbreviation for Yakutsk should be written in
Russian or in Yakut.  For more details about this effort, please see
the file `africa' (look for ``time zone abbreviations'').

What do the abbreviations `MSK' and `MSD' stand for?  If they're
English already, then we should definitely change the database back.
But I have the vague impression that they are Russian phrases or
abbreviations.

   Such names never used here.  Please back out this change ...

If `MSK' and `MSD' are not English, it would be more consistent to add
a zone `MSK' for backward compatibility instead, as follows; would this do?

RCS file: RCS/europe,v
retrieving revision 1996.11.1.1
retrieving revision 1996.11.1.2
diff -c -r1996.11.1.1 -r1996.11.1.2
*** europe	1996/09/29 19:22:47	1996.11.1.1
--- europe	1996/09/30 22:12:21	1996.11.1.2
*** 855,860 ****
--- 855,861 ----
  Zone	CET		1:00	C-Eur	CE%sT
  Zone	MET		1:00	C-Eur	ME%sT
  Zone	EET		2:00	EU	EE%sT
+ Zone	MSK		3:00	Russia	MSK/MSD

  # Previous editions of this database used abbreviations like MET DST
  # for Central European Summer Time, but this didn't agree with common usage.