New time zone home (revisited)

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Mon Jun 28 03:47:35 UTC 2010

    Date:        Sun, 27 Jun 2010 13:15:04 -0400
    From:        "Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E]" <olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov>

  | So, one thing at a time. Who has insights on a workable options
  | for new host(s) for the mailing list and the software distribution?

I'm not really sure that's a problem, there are plenty of hosting
services that support free distributions that could be selected - or
given that I have always supplied a backup server for the timezone
code and data (and archives of most of the older versions) we could
just make that the primary distribution when NIH ceases being a
reasonable choice (and that could certainly happen - as an interim
solution perhaps - if something or other ever forced a sudden change.)

It's been a while since I've run any active mailing lists, but I used to
do that a lot, and most of the mechanism is still in place, so doing that
would be (fairly) easy too.

The real problem, the real issue, is the other one - who is going to be doing
the maintaining - as while the mailing list could be relatively independent,
the software distribution method needs to be something the maintainer is
comfortable with - so I suspect selecting a new home to be the primary
distribution point of the software, without knowing who is going to be
maintaining it, or how, isn't really a very useful thing do do.

On the other hand, if anyone has been reluctant to volunteer to maintain
the code just because they can't commit to providing the distribution
service, then please, ignore that aspect - we'll work out how to handle
distribution easily enough (and the mailing list) if we have someone who
will take responsibility for  actually managing the code, and more
importantly, the database.

kre