[tz] Elliot - I want to talk about the TZ project ASAP...

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Fri Oct 21 14:36:28 UTC 2011

Tony Finch said:
>> For example, in the UK the timezones are purely a matter for Parliament
>> and the courts and nobody else. They aren't tied to any kind of
>> international law or treaty.
> The start and end dates of summer time are subject to a European
> directive, but each country can choose its own base offset.

But it was Parliament who modified the Summer Time Act. Yes, they did so to
meet a treaty obligation, but I don't believe there's any requirement *in
law* for them to do so. As a worst case, they could add an exception to the
European Communities Act and then just ignore that Directive.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.