FW: Belarus abolishes DST

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Sat Sep 17 22:49:58 UTC 2011

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011, Tobias Conradi wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Alexander Bokovoy <abokovoy at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Tim Parenti wrote:
> >> For the same reason the "KALT" designation was created for Kaliningrad
> >> (because +03:00 is not generally equivalent to EET), we should probably use
> >> something like "MINT" (or alternatively, since Belarus currently has only
> >> one zone, "BYT").
>
> And when Ukraine starts using the same as Belarus will they be
> re-united under one abbreviation?
>
> http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/ukraine-cancel-dst.html
>
> What about using EEST for Belarus and avoiding inventing new codes?
That was my original thought (though I by error marked EET in the
proposed change). Baltic countries and Finland are continuing to use
EET/EEST and observe DST changes so talking about time zone, we'll get
a bit confused state.

Here is current state of the proposal in Verhovna Rada:
http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb_n/webproc4_1?id=&pf3511=40036
(Still stuck at first review). The science and education committee
responsible for the proposal argues that Ukraine should follow EET
instead of EEST and while political scene heading towards "Moscow
trend", the actual decision is not yet made -- according to
http://money.comments.ua/fair/2011/09/09/286746/ukraintsev-zastavyat-rabotat.html
and http://life.comments.ua/2011/09/14/288071/minzdrav-vsled-regionami.html
there is still discussion whether moving from winter time makes sense.
Minister of Healthcare is opposing choosing EEST time.

We may stuck with Belarus selecting EEST, Ukraine taking EET, Lithuania,
Latvia, Estonia, and Finland continuing to observe DST and alternate
between EET/EEST.

At this stage I'm not sure using same naming would help to maintain
clarity...
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy