UTC as basis for time legislation

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Fri Sep 23 21:24:48 UTC 2011

Tobias Conradi said:
>> It would be interesting to find reliable indicators about whether UTC
>> or GMT is the basis in any given region.  Even recently I've seen
>> official decrees using the geographic terms "meridian" and "Greenwich".
>
> UTC used in EU law to define the start and end of summer-time:
>
> http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2011:083:0006:01:EN:HTML

I've done this before: there's a horrible mix of GMT and UT in the
different translations of that Directive, including some ambiguous cases.
And the translations don't necessarily match the legal times in the
countries using those languages.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.