[tz] unofficial tz repository on github

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 19 07:10:24 UTC 2012

I've set up an unofficial repository containing the tz code and
data at <https://github.com/eggert/tz>.  This is supposed to
contain the history of changes to the tz code and data, back to
the first commit in 1984.  I plan to use it to publish further
proposed changes.  The official tz distributions will remain in
their current location, at <ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/>.

The tz code was formerly maintained as an SCCS repository, but
nowadays Git seems more appropriate.  Unfortunately no
publicly-available SCCS-to-Git converter was up to the task of
migrating the tz repository; the two I tried mishandled old time
stamps and lost revisions!  So I wrote my own.  This task languished
until Arthur David Olson's recent higher-priority message about
Morocco <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2012-July/018123.html>,
which prompted me to move this task to the top of my list.

The unofficial repository currently contains the latest public
tz code and data distributions (tzcode2012b and tzdata2012c),
with the following further modifications, each of which represents
a proposed change:

 * Switch from SCCS to git.
   https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/dccd5a16af62c52f2b49a2fe56270a710617cbbd
   This alters how version numbers are handled.

 * Morocco does not observe DST from Jul 20 03:00 to Aug 20 02:00.
   https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/0e0bb39b15fbbaa759d66951ec727d640d17acc5
   These are Arthur's changes for Morocco, with minor editing.

 * Adjust to iana.org distribution method.
   https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/943c565e512880520c685c3233fa127f2341d3a3
   This documents the switch to iana.org as a distribution site.

 * Fix HTML validation issues.
   https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/8a52da39ed9a4988da930ded4946b0b24cc45f2c
   This is so that "make check" works again.

I'll send details about these proposed changes in followup emails.
Each email will contain one of the patches, along with a brief
log entry describing its purpose.  This is the style used by
"git format-patch".

Unfortunately I have not had time to look at the other changes
that are pending.  This will require looking through emails since
about March, and merging the changes into the database.  My
impression is that these changes are less pressing, though, and I
thought I'd get the Morocco change out first, and to make sure
that this new distribution scheme works.

Comments are welcome, especially those that fix bugs in the
Morocco change or the development machinery.