[tz] Proposal for a modern 'Collapsed' Namespace

Walter walter.stanish at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 21:06:20 UTC 2012

> Yes, CLDR has what you need.

It doesn't.  It doesn't have timezone names, nor the capacity to
collapse historically accrued timezones (with near-zero interest to
modern users) in to reduced sets for display.

> That's what we use on Android to localize time
> zone names, starting from Olson ids. All that code is open source in AOSP,
> and icu4c does most of the work.

Hrrm. Seems I was looking at the wrong bit of code. OK, ICU does seem
to have the goods here!
 (1) establishing a more meaningful ("meta") namespace for modern use
that is separate to the Olson IDs;
 (2) a translated library of human-meaningful timezone names (these
are in the "source/data/zone" directory, visible online at
http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/ICU/ICU-461.12/icuSources/data/zone/
probably amongst other places).

Anyway, it appears that we have a solution. Hooray.

(Though does anyone else find it interesting that the purview of
fixing timezone data to something human-accessible falls to a project
like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Components_for_Unicode
?)

Onwards and thanks for the educational discussion,
Walter