[tz] Proposal for a modern 'Collapsed' Namespace

Fri Oct 12 21:17:15 UTC 2012

On Oct 12, 2012, at 5:06 PM, Walter wrote:

>> Yes, CLDR has what you need.
>
> It doesn't.  It doesn't have timezone names, nor the capacity to
> collapse historically accrued timezones (with near-zero interest to
> modern users) ...

You're making an unwarranted and unsupported generalization.  The fact that this information is not interesting to you doesn't mean it isn't interesting to others.

If you want to filter timezone data to compress out the parts you don't care about, go right ahead. It's a small matter of programming once you know what you need.

I did exactly that to remove pre-2001 data which in my application was not necessary.  I didn't have to get help from this list for that; it's just a couple of lines changed in zic to do what was needed.

	paul