[tz] Australian Timezone Abbreviations - Next step

Random832 random832 at fastmail.us
Sat Oct 20 20:04:48 UTC 2012

gah, I keep messing up this reply vs reply to list thing.

On 10/20/2012 1:30 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> The margin of difference for all the above is often striking,
> but is sometimes relatively small.
>
> If we were not constrained by our existing practice and were
> to pick the abbreviations most commonly used today, this survey
> (flawed as it is) suggests that they would be:
>
>     AEST AEDT
>     CST CDT
>     WST WDT

Are there any sites that specifically endorse the practice of using *ST
to refer to "Summer Time" [not the same thing as the presumably common
practice of, as in America, using *ST to refer to the whole timezone
regardless of daylight saving status]

If not, it might make sense to at least do _that_ to eliminate one half
of the ambiguity, by going with EST/EDT, where the same time with the
same abbreviation in the same timezone setting appears twice an hour apart.

Hang on, does tzcode even do anything meaningful with the timezone
abbreviation? Actually, it looks like tzcode doesn't have a strptime or
getdate implementation at all. Maybe that's something that should be added.