[tz] Palestine DST starts on 2013-03-29

Steffen Thorsen thorsen at timeanddate.com
Wed Apr 3 22:18:08 UTC 2013

On 03.04.2013 17:40, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Apparently timeanddate.com's tables don't agree with their text articles.

I have spent some time looking through our tables and our articles, and
I could not really find any disagreement, but I did see that we did not
document the Gaza DST start date in 2011 (the article just told about
the West Bank, not about Gaza), so I had to dig into why.

Through researching some Gaza news sources, it seems Gaza started DST on
2011-04-01, just like Hebron (West Bank) did. So we were probably wrong
by one date here, and tzdata is based on our dates for 2011, so needs
the same update.

The "Palestine Today" (a Gaza newspaper) had this article about it, in
Arabic.
http://paltoday.ps/ar/post/105335/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AA%D9%88%D9%82%D9%8A%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B5%D9%8A%D9%81%D9%8A-%D8%A7%D8%B9%D8%AA%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%A7-%D9%85%D9%86-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%8A%D9%88%D9%85
It says it started on midnight last night, and the article is dated to
2011-04-01. This is actually a one minute difference to Hebron, so not
totally sure if they mean midnight or 00:01, but anyway, it is probably
not on 2011-04-02.

I have also updated some missing links so that these pages should have
links to articles containing more information for all of the years
2010-2012 on the dates listed in the "Start Date" and "End Date" columns:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone.html?n=702 (Gaza)
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone.html?n=2364 (Hebron)

If you have seen some disagreement I didn't spot, please let me know, so
it can be looked into.

Best regards,
Steffen Thorsen - timeanddate.com