[tz] Busingen revisited

Steffen Daode Nurpmeso sdaoden at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 11:33:15 UTC 2013

Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> wrote:
 |On 09/01/2013 18:22, Steffen Daode Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> wrote:

 |>|
 |>|By the same rule, the "correct" transliteration of Europe/Zurich would
 |>|be Europe/Zuerich, wouldn't it?  But we're using English zone names
 [.]
 |> Not that i really care, since these names are not ment for end
 |> users, as has been clarified multiple times in the last months…
 |> Maybe you are just ahead of our time.
 |> I'm against any mutilation of the German language, on principle.
 |
 |You should see how the English spell Köln! Fortunately, it's not in the
 |tz database. ;)

They use the old roman name?.  Ach, i'm sick that only words like
Not at last because all germans born in between 1940 and 1980 have
been socialized with the best film of all times [1], called »Die
Brucke« in English (not even freedom of art..).

But this is all blabla.
Except that maybe tz should be converted to UTF-8 so that at least
the comments won't mutilate names of reporters etc. in the future,
and could thus mention the real name »Büsingen« just as is, with the
zone name being whatever fits best in ASCII filename.
Using HTML entities does not seem to be a good solution to me.

--steffen

[1] <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTyga7HviTU&list=UUYO3p7nVCI2xCw0RyKQbTPg&index=14>
    (Start at 80 seconds)