[tz] Non-valid timezones, is there a rule to remove them?

Patrice Scattolin patrice.scattolin at oracle.com
Thu Jan 23 14:08:23 UTC 2014

Even though the rule currently in effect now is identical to a
neighboring some, that doesn't invalidate the first zone. The main
reason is for scheduling purposes where, going back in the past for
example, the difference is now a matter of historical record and needs
to be kept for software that care for such things such as calendars.

For example, if your are in Argentina/San_Juan and your calendar has a
meeting in the past (for legal reasons you are keeping track of your
meetings) where the zones were different, the rule is still in force.
Were the Argentina/San_Juan removed that meeting time would then move by
1h when applying Argentina/Buenos Aires in place.

This is more obvious if you have a meeting where some attendees were in
Argentina/Buenos Aires and some were Argentina/San_Juan. In that case,
with the old timezone the meeting (say a conference call) occured at two
different wall clock hours with the old rule (as it actually happened at
the time) vs with the Argentina/Buenos Aires rule in place forces both
meeting to have not occured at the same wall clock hours. The UTC never
changed, just the wallclock but that's what we need the tzid to get
right. If the meeting occured around midnight, it could even change day
for some attendees!

So to maintain historical accuracy the old rule cannot be taken out.

--

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Patrice Scattolin | Principal Member Technical Staff | 514.905.8744