[tz] Utah may drop DST

Patrice Scattolin patrice.scattolin at oracle.com
Thu Oct 16 12:41:21 UTC 2014

The fundamental reason this doesn't work is that TZ info needs to be
know about AHEAD of time so that scheduling tasks (plane tickets,
scheduled meetings in the future across timezones (EDT to PDT for
example)) can be scheduled correctly before the change in TZ occurs.
(and that explains why short lead time before a change in TZ rules is a
bad idea)

Unless you have devices with built-in time machines to go probe cell
towers time signal in the future, this doesn't solve the problem.

What you suggest though could be useful to set watches or microwaves to
the correct local time using OTA data like the clocks that derive their
time from atomic clock radio signals. To my knowledge that signal
doesn't include any TZ info. Seeing the low value in these devices I
doubt there will be pressure to pay for the infrastructure for such a
solution.

Beside, as far as I know, cell many compagnies are on this list and have
contributed to the data here so they pretty much find out when we do.

--

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Patrice Scattolin | Principal Member Technical Staff | 514.905.8744