[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 6 23:47:52 UTC 2015

On Apr 6, 2015, at 4:11 PM, Dzmitry Kazimirchyk <dkazimirchyk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Furthermore, TZ database doesn't seem to store full time zone names associated with abbreviations it uses.

Correct.  At the time the tz database was created, the only consumers were UN*X systems, and they only had APIs to provide abbreviations.

> So I guess the consumers of TZ database data are making these associations themselves using some other sources available to them.

For example, the Unicode Common Locale Data Repository:

	http://cldr.unicode.org

stores both full names and abbreviations, in multiple locales, for at least some "metazones"; "metazones" (which OS X mail's autocorrect seems to think should be "metazoans") are a CLDR concept, roughly corresponding to what most(?) people think of as "time zones", and they have their own mappings from tz database names to metazone names. Those mappings duplicate some information from the tz database, as they have to keep track of changes to the "metazone" to which a particular tz database zone belonged, if the name/abbreviation changed over time.