[tz] Correct timezone for the country of India

Kim Davies kim.davies at icann.org
Fri Mar 6 17:41:01 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Mar 4, 2015, at 4:08 PM, Sujay Phadke <sujay.phadke at gmail.com<mailto:sujay.phadke at gmail.com>> wrote:

Could you please add "New Delhi" or "Mumbai" to the +5:30 UTC timezone list?

Secondly, what is this "Indian/<island names> ? This is some old relic information that needs to be updated. None of those island have anything to do with India, so why keep the naming convention?

There is an explanation of how the location names have been chosen in the tz distribution. (Note, Wikipedia is not the definitive location for this, you can download the most recent copy of the data at http://www.iana.org/time-zones)

Here you can find the explanation:

https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/master/Theory#L398

I did go through one discussion in your achives: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2012-December/018488.html, but I couldn't see any reason why Mumbai or New Delhi cannot be added. I also could not find Asia/Calcutta in the list on current tz database. If I'm reading this wrong, please point me to the correct link.

It is spelled Kolkata in the tz database, see here:

https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/master/asia#L876

kim