[tz] Correct timezone for the country of India

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Fri Mar 6 18:23:17 UTC 2015

Sujay Phadke said:
>        I was browsing through the tz database and I don't see a single city
> in the country of India for the timezone setting. Would you enlighten me as
> to why it is so?

The zone is called "Asia/Kolkata".

> I am specifically looking at this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones

That is out of data; it refers to database version 2014b, whereas the
current version is 2015a.

> Secondly, what is this "Indian/<island names> ? This is some old relic
> information that needs to be updated. None of those island have anything to
> do with India, so why keep the naming convention?

"Indian" refers to the Indian Ocean, not to India. As far as I am aware,
the Indian Ocean still exists.

> I did go through one discussion in your achives:
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2012-December/018488.html, but I couldn't
> see any reason why Mumbai or New Delhi cannot be added.

We don't need two names for the same zone.

I don't think we should make the change just because populations have
altered. That way lies madness as the most populous place keeps changing.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.