[tz] Official definition and origin of the term "Central European Time"

Derick Rethans tz at derickrethans.nl
Sat Oct 24 11:17:56 UTC 2015

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015, Even Scharning wrote:

> I think it makes more sense to define CET as alternating between UTC+1
> (standard time) and UTC+2 (when DST is observed). (See
> http://time.is/CET for a more elaborate definition.)

In a similar fashion, people use GMT to mean both GMT and BST (British
Summer Time, UTC+1) for Europe/London, notably, Google Calendar. The
amount of confusion that causes is staggering, especially among my
American co-workers scheduling meetings. I'd strongly suggest you use
CET for UTC+1 and CEST for UTC+2 exclusively.

cheers,
Derick