[tz] Why did you rename Russian zone name abbreviations

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 31 06:48:40 UTC 2016

Sergei Turchanov wrote:
> Why did you rename Russian zone name abbreviations? Can you provide a
> rationale for this change?

Sure, the basic idea is that the tz database should reflect common practice in
English-language abbreviations, rather than inventing and/or imposing
abbreviations. So I have been gradually removing invented abbreviations and
replacing them with UT offsets. I think Russia is mostly done now, and it's time
to turn our attention to other parts of the world.

> This change breaks date parsing, etc...

Alphabetic zone abbreviations are ambiguous in practice and any date parsing
depending on them is questionable anyway.

The above is documented in more detail in the 'Theory' file.