[tz] Why did you rename Russian zone name abbreviations

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 19:17:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 2:48 AM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Sure, the basic idea is that the tz database should reflect common
> practice in English-language abbreviations, rather than inventing and/or
> imposing abbreviations. So I have been gradually removing invented
> abbreviations and replacing them with UT offsets.

You may have been too aggressive in this effort.  Some of the abbreviations
that may have been originally invented by you or Olson have since come into
common practice.  The use of English abbreviations of Russian time zones is
fairly common in Russia.  Interestingly, with the exception of MSK (МСК),
the timezone abbreviations are not translated/transliterated to Russian in
Russian language documents and used in Latin script which is ubiquitous in
anything computer related.

See, for example,  <https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Время_в_России>.