[tz] Why did you rename Russian zone name abbreviations

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 31 20:28:17 UTC 2016

On 10/31/2016 12:17 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> Some of the abbreviations that may have been originally invented by
> you or Olson have since come into common practice.

Yes, web pages derived from older versions of the tz database use them.
But they do not appear to be common in general English usage. I just now
checked Google News for English-language news articles mentioning both
"VLAT" and "Vladivostok", and found zero occurrences, which suggests
that the abbreviation has not caught on in practice in English. Instead,
I found phrases like this:

"Japanese ship Pacific Venus carrying 500 passengers will moor at the
port of Vladivostok at 07:00 (local time)..."
<http://en.portnews.ru/news/228171/>

"Vladivostok is GMT +10"
<http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/magazine/blogs/matthew-woodward/keeping-track-of-time-on-the-trans-siberian-express>