[tz] Why did you rename Russian zone name abbreviations

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 20:39:04 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On 10/31/2016 12:17 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
>
>> Some of the abbreviations that may have been originally invented by you
>> or Olson have since come into common practice.
>>

> Yes, web pages derived from older versions of the tz database use them.
> But they do not appear to be common in general English usage.

I am not sure English language web pages reflect the expectations of the
majority of users of Russian time zones.  As I mentioned earlier, it is
common to use English abbreviations in Russian technical documents.  I
wouldn't be surprised if similar practices exist in other non-English
speaking countries, particularly in those with non-Latin scripts.