[tz] Magallanes region from Chile will keep DST all year round

Deborah Goldsmith goldsmit at apple.com
Fri Jan 20 14:37:52 UTC 2017

> Aside, I hope the new official version goes live around Feb. 15 in the worst case; so downstream providers (and developers) can test this new time zone without being in a hurry

Since this involves a new time zone, and thus requires changes in other databases (localization, time zone polygons), the lead time needs to be longer than usual. Now that the change is finalized, please release this. Work on the other databases is stalled until that happens.

Distributing an intermediate version from the GitHub repository is problematic because calling it either 2016j or 2017a are both incorrect. Downstream providers would have to make up an identifier which wouldn’t be cross-platform, and could cause problems with software that wasn’t expecting it.

Debbie