[tz] Was Azerbaijan the first government to cite tzdb?

Sat Nov 11 20:43:32 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-11 09:22, Philip Newton wrote:
> On 11 November 2017 at 02:51, Philip Paeps <philip at trouble.is> wrote:
>> Take that thought a bit further and ICANN will be selling timezones to the
>> highest bidder another decade down the line.
> That makes me think about advertising in time zone names.
> Imagine if you had to select not Europe/Zurich but instead
> Europe/Powered-by-Swatch or something like that, because the company
> bought the naming rights to the timezone.

Easier to buy the UI localization rights for big distros: Seoul_Samsung,
MtView_Google, Cupertino_Apple, Redmond_Microsoft: there could be big money (and
confusion) from America/Los_Angeles! ;^>

> Like the many stadiums or buildings that are now named after companies
> rather than after locations or people.

But who other than the orgs' and ticket sellers' ad reps use those names, which
change every few years when a co can't make the payments, gets bought, or a
better offer comes along?