[tz] [english 100%] Re: [english 100%] Re: [english 100%] Re:OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Irelandchange

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Sat Jan 27 04:48:38 UTC 2018

Meno Hochschild said:
> @Paul Eggert When I elaborated my workaround for v2018b (which works
> fine now) I have made at least the assumption that a rule set consisting
> of rule lines having the same name will not contain a mixture of both
> negative and positive dst offsets. Otherwise my approach will probably
> be broken.

In that case your approach is broken.

While I'm not aware of anywhere that has shifts both backwards and
forwards from "standard time", I have no faith that politicians won't do
it.

For example, imagine an Islamic country decides to move forwards an hour to
be in line with a major trading neighbour. So their standard time is UTC+3
and their summer time is UTC+4. But for Ramadan they still need to be close
to local solar time, so that's UTC+2. Yes, this is a hypothetical, but it's
not completely implausible.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.