[tz] [english 100%] Re: OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Jan 29 01:38:35 UTC 2018

Mark Davis ☕️ wrote:
> The change to negative offsets ... has no
> significant functional difference I can see; functionally it is purely the
> TZDB abbreviations.

That would be true were it not for tm_isdst. Although tm_isdst is a
poorly-designed interface, it is standardized by ISO C and by POSIX and it is
not likely to go away soon.

> I see no option other
> than issuing both data files that are strictly SAVE≥0 and data file(s) that
> no such restriction (or the logical equivalent to dual files) until such
> time as we have confidence that the number of clients broken by this change
> becomes very small.

Yes, this very much seems to be the only way forward, if we want to address the
problem. I have something in mind and will try to publish details soon.