[tz] Epic fail for DST fallback in hospital health records

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu Nov 8 09:21:24 UTC 2018

Lester Caine said:
> My own involvement with systems having problems with changes in time
> relates to railway systems 25+ years ago. At that time the UK trains did
> not run over night but it was coming in and we switched the underlying
> systems to UTC. As a side 'effect' it also solved problems with cross
> channel train movements since the Channel Tunnel had just opened!

I had a bit of training from BR back in 1981 and asked what happened at
summer time changes. I was told that in the autumn trains would just stop
for an hour at the first station after the change, while in the spring they
would just run late.

There were overnight trains then: the sleepers. And in those days it was
more complicated than now: for example, one of the northbounds out of
Euston (I think it was the Perth sleeper) dropped a couple of coaches at
Carlisle at 2 am. (They were shunted into a bay platform and you were left
to sleep until 7.) Similarly one of the Penzances dropped/picked up at
Plymouth.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.