[tz] Java & Rearguard

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jun 7 22:40:54 UTC 2019

scs at eskimo.com said:
> I'm not Stephen, but I assume the answer would be, "We can cross that bridge
> when we get to it; we don't have to solve it now", and I don't think that's
> necessarily a completely indefensible position.  You're basically trading off
> a huge amount of pain now to solve a problem that *might* happen later,
> versus the exact same amount of pain later if/when you actually do have the
> problem, except by then, you and everyone else who has to endure the pain are
> much more motivated to do so.

The alternative view is that if you wait, you won't have any control over the
schedule.  You will be reacting to requirements by somebody else and they may
not leave you much time.

If there is a clean solution available now, it might make sense to start work
now when you have control over the schedule.  For example, you can wait for
project X to do their next release.

If the change can me made by adding a new API, it's reasonable to support both
new and old for a while and eventually drop the old API.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.