[tz] Some thoughts about the way forward

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 24 07:09:33 UTC 2021

On 9/23/21 9:00 PM, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
> My chief concern is instability and incompatibility

2021a1 will give you maximum stability and compatibility with 2021a, so
you can use that if equity is not as much of a concern for you.

> why is it so very, very important to make this change right now

The equity issue has been on the table for months, no other approach has
been developed or tested, and the only other approaches proposed would
be less stable and compatible than the already built-and-tested 2021b
would be.

The equity issue was raised early this year, and we've delayed dealing
with it for far too long already. Equity is a real issue of concern, and
it's a bad look for us if we continue with a clearly-inequitable primary
distribution when a fairer approach has long been implemented and
available and nothing else is available.

This is mostly a disagreement about maintenance philosophy not end-user
functionality, as the pre-1970 differences between 2021a1 and 2021b will
be minor when considered from end users' point of view. We know this
because we've made similar changes many times in previous releases.

I'll be happy to collaborate on building something that will accommodate
our philosophical differences in later releases, and have already
proposed specific (though not-yet-installed) working code that goes a
long way toward doing that. Having had some experience with writing and
testing that code, I have confidence that this technical approach will
succeed if the community wants to work together on this. Of course there
will be issues - among other things, the
at-least-one-Zone-per-country-code philosophy is even more
unstable/incompatible than 2021b will be - but they're clearly solvable.