[tz] Leap second announcement July 2022

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri Jul 8 18:32:15 UTC 2022

On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 10:45, Howard Hinnant via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> https://datacenter.iers.org/data/latestVersion/16_BULLETIN_C16.txt
>
> There will be no leap second at the end of Dec. 2022.  The leap second
> file expiration date should be updated prior to releasing 2022b.

Noted.  The announcement was made by IERS on Monday 4 July, but at time of
writing, NIST have not published an updated version of the file yet; I've
been checking periodically.  ;)

The first Bulletin D in a year was also published this week, announcing
that DUT1 signals will change from -0.1 to 0.0 on 28 July 2022:
https://datacenter.iers.org/data/latestVersion/17_BULLETIN_D17.txt

This is the second consecutive positive (or perhaps "backwards") step in
DUT1 transmissions, as the average recent day length remains slightly short
of 86,400 SI seconds.  While UT1-UTC approaching zero definitionally means
we're now about as far as we can get from needing a leap second (without,
of course, having just had one), if this trend continues, we'll soon be
closer to needing a negative leap second than a positive one.

--
Tim Parenti