[tz] manual pages in tzdb

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu May 9 20:28:23 UTC 2024

John Hawkinson via tz wrote in
 <Zj0as7x9HxQcgmJ1 at louder-room.local>:
 |[ trimmed cc to tz only ]
 |
 |Can we step back a moment? I am confused by the initial request:
 |
 |Alejandro Colomar via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote on Wed,  8 May 2024
 |at 12:24:40 EDT in <vexmpmalky6xddplkpr6md6b7r664gmyt3fthmmiuxnwwiw3fu at 5\
 |5ga4tnb5zuj>:
 |
 |> I had in mind something: I would like to cherry-pick all tzdb's commits
 |> that affect manual pages into the Linux man-pages git repository,
 |> instead of just pasting here snapshots of your manual pages.
 |>
 |> For that to work, we'd need to agree on a path inside the repository (or
 |> I could manually --or with a script-- edit each commit, which would be
 |> combersome, and I'd rather avoid).
 |
 |Why is this second paragraph true?
 |
 |Why can you not cherry-pick all commits that touch a filename ending \
 |in the *.[0-9] glob (of which there are only 9)?
 |
 |That does not seem terribly onerous.
 |
 |However, a different concern may be that many commits that touch man \
 |pages also touch code, and rightly so: when code changes, documentation \
 |should change, and doing so in the same commit is proper. (Also there \
 |are non-man docuemntation files that change, such as NEWS).
 |
 |So I'm not really sure git cherry-picking at the commit level is the \
 |right thing here, although perhaps that's a simple enough way to think \
 |filtering diff hunks or whatever.

I agree, he should possibly simply "git show" or "git archive" the
manual files over from each commit that touched them, and then
simply "git add" them in the target, which automatically gives you
the diff(1) hunks.  (I do this often, even automated as part of
release processes (to dedicated release branches), as it avoids
any possible merge conflict.)

 --End of <Zj0as7x9HxQcgmJ1 at louder-room.local>

--steffen