[tz] manual pages in tzdb

John Hawkinson jhawk at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 9 18:49:23 UTC 2024

[ trimmed cc to tz only ]

Can we step back a moment? I am confused by the initial request:

Alejandro Colomar via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote on Wed,  8 May 2024
at 12:24:40 EDT in <vexmpmalky6xddplkpr6md6b7r664gmyt3fthmmiuxnwwiw3fu at 55ga4tnb5zuj>:

> I had in mind something: I would like to cherry-pick all tzdb's commits
> that affect manual pages into the Linux man-pages git repository,
> instead of just pasting here snapshots of your manual pages.
>
> For that to work, we'd need to agree on a path inside the repository (or
> I could manually --or with a script-- edit each commit, which would be
> combersome, and I'd rather avoid).

Why is this second paragraph true?

Why can you not cherry-pick all commits that touch a filename ending in the *.[0-9] glob (of which there are only 9)?

That does not seem terribly onerous.

However, a different concern may be that many commits that touch man pages also touch code, and rightly so: when code changes, documentation should change, and doing so in the same commit is proper. (Also there are non-man docuemntation files that change, such as NEWS).

So I'm not really sure git cherry-picking at the commit level is the right thing here, although perhaps that's a simple enough way to think filtering diff hunks or whatever.

jhawk at alum.mit.edu
John Hawkinson