[tz] manual pages in tzdb

Alejandro Colomar alx at kernel.org
Sat May 11 12:27:05 UTC 2024

Hi,

On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 12:25:24AM GMT, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Hi John, Steffen, Andreas,
>
> On Thu, May 09, 2024 at 11:51:38PM GMT, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> > On Mai 09 2024, Steffen Nurpmeso via tz wrote:
> >
> > >   git show --no-patch [--pretty=XY] COMMIT
> > >
> > > gives the commit object (to the given extend), which can then be
> > > parsed and used for example to fill in the environment variables
> > >
> > >        GIT_AUTHOR_NAME
> > >        GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL
> > >        GIT_AUTHOR_DATE
> > >        GIT_COMMITTER_NAME
> > >        GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL
> > >        GIT_COMMITTER_DATE
> > >
> > > for "git commit" accordingly.  There you go.
> >
> > git commit -c <commit> can do that for you, if you fetch the commit into
> > the current repository.
>
> I understand I can do all of that, which is why I said I can manualy,
> or with some scripts, do that.  However, I'd need to at least get each
> diff separately, modify it with a script that fixes the location of the
> files, and then commit (with -c).
>
> However, if the locations match, it's waaay easier:  I can just cherry
> pick entire ranges of commits blindly:

git(1) maintainer Junio suggested a way to do it, which surprisingly
works even with the different paths:

	$ git format-patch --stdout 2024a..tz/main \
		-- tzfile.5 tzselect.8 zdump.8 zic.8 \
	| git am -3;

So, I don't need this change any more, it seems.

Have a lovely day!
Alex

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
A client is hiring kernel driver, mm, and/or crypto developers;