[tz] Unicode CLDR supplemental/windowsZones.xml update? -Brooks Harris

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at SystematicSW.ab.ca
Sun May 26 18:06:46 UTC 2024

On 2024-05-26 08:42, Brooks Harris via tz wrote:
> Does someone know if the Unicode CLDR ../supplemental/windowsZones.xml has been
> updated?
>
> Following the best links I know to find:
> Unicode CLDR
> Overview
> https://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads/cldr-45
> Downloads
> https://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads
> GitHub Tag
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RobThree/TimeZoneMapper/master/TimeZoneMapper/ResourceFiles/windowsZones.xml
>
> This file says it corresponds with TzDb 2021a.

I agree this is confusing, but it appears to refer to the tzdb version resulting
in changes to the XML schema effective version "typeVersion".

> Yet other notes say Windows zone were updated to TzDb 2024a:
>
> CLDR 45 Release Note
> https://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads/cldr-45
> Timezones
> Deprecating timezones that are no longer in zone.tab (America/Nipigon, ...)
> New Windows timezone mappings
>
> Was this file not actually updated or am I looking in the wrong place?

The latest release-45 log message for both:

https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/blob/release-45/common/supplemental/metaZones.xml

https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/blob/release-45/common/supplemental/windowsZones.xml

says they were updated by:

	CLDR-17351 Updating CLDR time zone data with IANA TZDB 2024a
	https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-17351

and log message -2 for release-45:

https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/blob/release-45/common/supplemental/supplementalMetadata.xml

re zoneAlias entries says it was updated by:

CLDR-17295 tz2023d data updates and cleaned up deprecated zones/metazone #3442
	https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-17295

as part of:

	ICU-22620 tz2023d updates unicode-org/icu#2777
	https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/ICU-22620

indicating that recently they seem to evaluate the impact of tzdb releases
within a week or two;

you can see more history under CLDR project component timezone at:

https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20%22CLDR%22%20AND%20component%20%3D%20%22timezone%22

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry