[tz] Unicode CLDR supplemental/windowsZones.xml update? -Brooks Harris

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Sun May 26 19:30:09 UTC 2024

Thanks Brian,
On 2024-05-26 02:06 PM, Brian Inglis via tz wrote:
> On 2024-05-26 08:42, Brooks Harris via tz wrote:
>> Does someone know if the Unicode CLDR
>> ../supplemental/windowsZones.xml has been updated?
>>
>> Following the best links I know to find:
>> Unicode CLDR
>> Overview
>> https://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads/cldr-45
>> Downloads
>> https://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads
>> GitHub Tag
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RobThree/TimeZoneMapper/master/TimeZoneMapper/ResourceFiles/windowsZones.xml
>>

>> This file says it corresponds with TzDb 2021a.
>
> I agree this is confusing, but it appears to refer to the tzdb version
> resulting in changes to the XML schema effective version "typeVersion".
Not sure of that. I've got other, earlier, that show
<mapTimezones otherVersion="7e11500" typeVersion="2020a">On that line.

>> Yet other notes say Windows zone were updated to TzDb 2024a:
>>
>> CLDR 45 Release Note
>> https://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads/cldr-45
>> Timezones
>> Deprecating timezones that are no longer in zone.tab
>> (America/Nipigon, ...)
>> New Windows timezone mappings
>>
>> Was this file not actually updated or am I looking in the wrong place?
>
> The latest release-45 log message for both:
>
> https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/blob/release-45/common/supplemental/metaZones.xml
>

> https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/blob/release-45/common/supplemental/windowsZones.xml
>

> says they were updated by:
>
>     CLDR-17351 Updating CLDR time zone data with IANA TZDB 2024a
>     https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-17351
Yes. But that file
https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/blob/release-45/common/supplemental/windowsZones.xml
is identical to the one I have downloaded back with 2021.

I've also downloaded cldr-common-45.0.zip. It contains this same file.

It does not reflect the commits Paul refereed to:
https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/commit/9d96f340ab145003b3e6d12d95ffb16f19a8a529
or any others since 2021a, as far as I can tell.

So I'm confused (its not hard to confuse me).
What is the best procedure to obtain the latest windowsZones.xml?
Is there a record of earlier versions? I anticipate wanting to possibly
reviewing earlier versions.

Thanks,
-Brooks