[UA-discuss] FW: I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt

nalini.elkins at insidethestack.com nalini.elkins at insidethestack.com
Mon Mar 13 14:55:55 UTC 2017

 On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 01:22:52PM
 +0000, Mark Svancarek via UA-discuss wrote:

 >> "Your requested domain name Q has been identified as one likely to cause user confusions due to its mix of
>> characters and character sets. (See our Confusables Policy, here).   As a result, ownership of this
>> domain name must be bundled with the following additional domain names:
 >> This bundle of domain names is available for the low price of $$.
 >> Unfortunately, we are not able to offer the domain name  Q separately from this bundle. If you are not interested in
>> this bundle, might we suggest the following alternatives:

> I think most registries doing any kind of variants mostly do this sort of thing.

Andrew, from personal experience, I would beg to differ with you.   Registries most definitely are not doing any such thing.

As far as I can see, very few, if any, policies are in effect.   I have seen and been able to buy domains (with the full knowledge and consent of the trademark holder) that one would not believe possible.

I have seen, from my monitoring that many others have bought domains which I suspect are NOT with the full knowledge and consent of the trademark holder or as a part of a bundle.

Nalini