[UA-discuss] FW: I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Mar 13 15:18:26 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 02:55:55PM +0000, nalini.elkins at insidethestack.com wrote>
> > I think most registries doing any kind of variants mostly do this sort of thing.
>
> Andrew, from personal experience, I would beg to differ with you.   Registries most definitely are not doing any such thing.

I think you need to distinguish between "registries doing any kind of
variants" and "registries who treat every registration as
independent".  I've been working in this area since 2003 with various
registries, and registries who do have policies about variants most
certainly _are_ doing this sort of thing.  But there are also
registries that do not recognise variants _at all_: they treat each
registration as separate.  They are indeed subject to this sort of thing.

It's worth noting that, to some extent, there is literally nothing we
can do about this.  The overarching problem of confusables is a
problem of character repertoire, typography, human-computer
interfaces, and psychodynamics.  In the right context, "corn" and
"com" look pretty similar.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com