[UA-discuss] Managing IDN Variant TLD

Ram Mohan rmohan at afilias.info
Sat Mar 9 07:17:57 UTC 2019

While these are good to know about, the public comment period has closed,
and all going well, the ICANN Board is going to ratify them at this meeting.

The big news out of this is that, for the first time since 2010, ICANN will
open the possibility of allocating and/or delegating IDN TLDs in scripts
that have variants. That is a significant event for those parts of the
world that are primarily non-ASCII in their expression offline and online,
and who have different representations of the same word (I won’t get into
defining variants in this post, it’s a huge rathole).

In parallel, ICANN is also nearing the final stages of the next version of
the IDN Guidelines, which are slated for ratification in the May-June
timeframe. The effect of that will be binding on all gTLD registries that
implement IDNs.

-Ram