[UA-discuss] [UA-EAI] Regular Expression To Validate EAI Addresses

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Sat Aug 15 14:30:13 UTC 2020

On 15 Aug 2020, at 3:11, Martin J. Dürst wrote:

> Hello Mark, others,
>
> On 15/08/2020 01:08, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>
>> The best way would be to modify the regex engine itself to embed the
>> IDNA protocol inside it and then define a new regex token for IDNA
>> and then we will be in business… Not an easy task.
>
> I'm not sure I agree. IDNA is changing for new versions of Unicode,
> and that would mean that such regex engines need to be updated. If
> that's easy (e.g. it's part of the properties provided by Unicode,
> which are needed for version updates anyway), that might work,

well, it depends on how/if the regex engine uses any underlying OS
services, which may deliver what it needs.

> but otherwise, I'd guess it won't.

as I wrote, that would be the best way (from a UA point of view), but
far from sure it would work and certainly not an easy task. I’m not
saying we should undertake that, but I was throwing an idea in case
someone wants to try it out ;-)

Marc.