[UA-discuss] [UA-EAI] Regular Expression To Validate EAI Addresses

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Sat Aug 15 14:34:36 UTC 2020

On 15 Aug 2020, at 7:04, Mark W. Datysgeld wrote:

> So, like many UASG discussions, this is very enlightening from an
> academic point of view. However, my question after all of these
> considerations is: what are the reasonable next steps to take in
> relation to making this into some sort of guideline that we can
> recommend to third parties who need a simple answer?

The recommendation I made during the Java tutorial on UA is as follows:
- use a simple regex to throw out the basic errors (example: an (EAI
email address must have a « @ «  and at least one « . » on the
right side; you can enhance this a bit, but if you go too much, then you
start getting into trouble)
- use a library for verifying IDNA.
- there is not that much one can do on the left side of an EAI email
address. maybe just verifying it is a valid UTF-8 string.

John Levine also wrote similarly in a previous email in this thread.

Marc.