[UA-discuss] Maybe email addresses and URLs might not matter anymore?

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Wed Jul 29 22:27:02 UTC 2020

Tex:

On 2020-07-28 17:59, Tex wrote:

> Thanks Jim.
>
> 1)When my bank emails me, they always write, if you don’t trust this
> email is from the bank, type in the URL. If the URL is not in my
> language, I have difficulty typing it.
>
> 2)When I am redirected to a site, I often review the URL for security
> and as a way to establish trust. If it is not in my language, I will
> be unsure of the correct spelling and whether the site is phony or
> not. It is not the only test, but it is part of the assurance.

This scenario is valid for banks who send emails to customers, and
customers who log into bank websites. But the point of the BBC article
is that, for many in China, all the communication occurs within the
WeChat app.

1) The bank presumably sends a WeChat message from their WeChat presence
to the customer's WeChat account, not an email.

2) The customer is presumably given a link to the bank's WeChat or web
site presence. The customer clicks the link, and doesn't attempt to
enter in a web address.

The BBC article didn't talk about fraud within WeChat or similar
systems. There is probably a fraud risk. I don't know what either the
WeChat system or users within WeChat do about the fraud risk. But the
article makes it seem unlikely that the routine response is to drop out
of the "walled garden" and start using outside URLs and email addresses.

> We can agree that for many cases users do not interact with email and
> URLs.…

Yes, we can agree on this. My point is that UASG's efforts have nothing
to say about these cases, and that those cases matter.

> …But when they do, native language is important.

Agreed, but not my point in this thread.

Best regards,
      —Jim "writing emails in North American mode" DeLaHunt, software
engineer, Vancouver, Canada

--
.   --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953