[UA-discuss] EuroDIG session

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Sun May 17 17:45:03 UTC 2020

Hi all.
Some of you know already EuroDIG - it is a conference on Internet Governance that is held yearly, where different topics are discussed.
This year it will be held fully online, from 10 to 12 June - details here<https://www.eurodig.org/index.php?id=76>.
One session will touch on Universal Acceptance<https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Universal_Acceptance_%E2%80%93_a_technical_or_a_cultural_issue?_%E2%80%93_WS_15_2020>  but with a slightly different point of view. We would like to explore all aspects of “diversity” on the Internet that are related to language or script that can be a source of difficulties for the end users, ultimately reducing the ability for some people to access or to fully benefit from the Internet. The main point is that although there is a large technical component in Universal Acceptance - or the lack thereof - there is also a non negligible cultural factor.
We would like to explore issues like multilingualism and local content on the Internet, ask ourselves whether this is in some way related to Universal Acceptance in the “classical” sense - i.e. the problems with some applications of the DNS - but also what are the impacts on, e.g., search engines or social media. To make an example, one question might be whether the search engines are affected by - and whether they take into account in the algorithms - cultural diversity.
We believe that the discussion would benefit from the participation of experts that can describe how search engines, social platforms, or other applications that run “over” the fabrics of the Internet are affected by these cultural aspects.
Can anybody in this group propose some points for discussion - or volunteer to give a presentation at EuroDIG?
Thanks,
Roberto