[UA-discuss] https://emailregex.com/

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Wed May 20 19:12:44 UTC 2020

I couldn't resist. I took a look at the site.

The domain name and the surface content are infuriating. They create a
frame with the idea that a regex for email addresses is possible and
desirable.

However, at the bottom of the page is a discussion thread. It says
exactly what I would hope a discussion about "email regex" would say.
It is dominated by objections to using regex's for anything more than
the most simple syntax checking. Many people make the point that the
only way to know if an email address is valid is to send a test message
to it.

And, if you look at the regex examples in the different programming
languages, they do different things. That says to me, as a software
developer, that this is not a serious site. If the site had a really
good regex, they would try to preserve its merits in all the programming
languages.

So, I think this site is infuriating, but not worth spending much effort
to correct.

Best regards,
        —Jim DeLaHunt, software engineer, Vancouver, Canada

On 2020-05-20 02:08, Don Hollander wrote:

> Anyone know anything about this? Apparently it’s not fit for purpose
> and should be either fixed or withdrawn.
>
> John:  How’s the universal regex going in the IETF?
>
> Hope everyone out there is OK.   Here in New Zealand we are emerging
> from our bubbles.   So far, so good.
>
> Don

     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953