[UA-discuss] email address in .family TLD rejected [was: Reddit thread]

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Thu Jul 29 05:01:46 UTC 2021

Michele Neylon:

Thank you for bringing this to the list's attention.

On 2021-07-28 09:00, Michele Neylon - Blacknight via UA-discuss wrote:

> https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/osuola/a_word_of_caution_about_that_unique_top_level/
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/osuola/a_word_of_caution_about_that_unique_top_level/>

Summary for those who don't want to follow the link:

    Many companies computer systems do not yet accept a .family email
    address

    So far I have been forced to keep in my old email on file with
    several larger banks, utility companies and some web services. I am
    only on day 1 and I have seen about a 25% rejection rate. Not good.

    I can only hope over time this will be corrected.

The part of this story which surprises me is that a Latin-limited
top-level domain which is outside the traditional 2-3 character set is
rejected so often. I thought most sites had moved beyond rejecting
unfamiliar top-level domains.

I do have personal experience, and see data which confirms, that many
sites still reject email addresses based on character set. I have an
email addresses with '+' signs in them, e.g. <list+uasg at jdlh.com>. Those
get rejected way too often. It is maybe 17%, not 25%.

If I get the chance, I try to give the organisation feedback that they
should not reject email addresses with '+' signs... and if they have a
hard time with '+' signs, they are going to be really surprised when
email addresses in Hindi and Chinese arrive at their door!

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt