[UA-discuss] article of a site owner's experience with gTLD (xyz)

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Oct 6 16:05:40 UTC 2021

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021, Michele Neylon - Blacknight via UA-discuss wrote:
> Interesting read, but in many respects this isn’t a UA issue at all but more a reputation one.
> They sum it up themselves:
> “Avoid at all costs (or savings) all domains which are priced incredulously cheap. The poisoning of the proverbial .xyz well was most likely caused by really cheap prices and promotions causing them to be chosen by spammers

I think we agreed a while ago that UA was about fixing technical barriers
to adoption, not policy based blocks.

While .xyz is the best known case, there have been lots of new TLDs that
got only a trickle of sales, cut prices in a panic to get bulk
registrations, and found that the only people who want bulk domains are
crooks.  Not our problem.

It would be nice if ICANN stopped pretending the world wants or needs more
TLDs and worked on improving the quality of the ones they already have,
but that doesn't seem likely.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",