[UA-EAI] List of EAI Ready Software

Jiankang Yao yaojk at cnnic.cn
Wed May 11 01:42:19 UTC 2016

I agree most points raised by Martin.

In General speaking,  I think that a clear definition of what EAI Ready means that the softwares follow the EAI and IDN standards set by IETF RFCs.

IDN:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5890.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5891.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5892.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5893.txt

EAI:
 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6530.txt
 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6531.txt
 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6532.txt
 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6533.txt
 http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6855.txt
 http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6856.txt

Jiankang Yao

From: Martin J. Dürst
Date: 2016-05-07 11:40
To: Don Hollander; ua-eai at icann.org
Subject: Re: [UA-EAI] List of EAI Ready Software
On 2016/05/07 06:20, Don Hollander wrote:
> At the UASG Coordination call earlier this week there was a call to create a list of EAI Ready software and I would like your thoughts and help.
>
> First, of course, we need to have a clear definition of what EAI Ready means.

I think that depends on the classes that you line out below.

> Is it just able to acknowledge and handle SMTPFUTF8?

I'd say yes for MTAs. But we also have to check for downgrading or
whatever else is appropriate if the mail cannot be forwarded as
SMTPUTF8. (I think there's an F too much in your spelling.)

> Does it need to display addresses correctly?

Yes for MUAs, and (Web) mail services. But there's an additional
distinction: Some MUAs will display the text by themselves, but others
(unix/linux mail, Web mail services) will rely on something else (the
former on the terminal software, the later on a Web browser).

Also, it's not only addresses, but also other header fields, starting
with Subject. And of course the body, too.

> Does it need to “linkify" correctly?

What do you mean by "linkify"?

> Must it be able to host IDNs?

I'd think that's a DNS issue. But maybe you mean something else.

> What about searching?

Yes, for those software classes that do search.

> And what classes do we structure this by?
>
> MUAs - Outlook, Thunderbird, AppleMail, etc
> MTAs - PostFx, Exchange, etc
> Mailboxes - I don’t even know if this is a separate category, so help me here, please.

Do you mean POP or IMAP software? I'm sure there's a term for it, but
I'm not sure what it is.

> Mail Services:Gmail, Office365, Coremail, Horde, etc

Are these all Web mail services, or does that include others? Or did you
leave out "Web" because many of them also offer POP/IMAP services?

> And what about ancillary software, particularly Spam, Virus and Content filters? Mailing List managers?

Yes, please.

Regards,   Martin.